The Swallows Partnership / Sihlanganiswa Ziinkonjane is an international partnership based in the arts and culture – between the North East of England and the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Its immediate objective is to develop a mutually agreed programme of arts and more broadly cultural projects between artists, organizations in both provinces starting from 2008 to 2014 including the celebrations of South Africa’s 20th anniversary since the first democratic elections in 1994, with a further phase of activity to 2020 being researched.
The Partnership was formalised in a signed Memorandum of Understanding between the Premier of the Eastern Cape and the Chair of the Association of North East Councils (ANEC) on February 28th 2008 and renewed at a meeting of the Honourable MEC Xoliswa Tom and the new Chair of ANEC Cllr. Paul Watson in April 2010.
The programme to date has included exchanges; teaching and training; commissions and productions; festivals; placements and residencies – within areas of co-operation, including:
- Arts and Culture.
- Museums and Heritage.
- Film and Media
- Libraries and Archives
With special emphasis on:
- The role of culture in economic and social regeneration
- The role of the arts culture in education.
- Training in cultural leadership and management.
Resources are raised in both countries by two Foundations, Isiseko
Senkonjane and The Swallows Foundation UK that are also responsible
for delivering the programme.
In 2009, Foundations were established in each country to raise and hold funds and to manage the delivery of the Partnership’s programmes. The Foundations share the same Vision, Mission and Aims. The Swallows Foundation SA / Isiseko Senkonjane (ISSA) and Swallows Foundation UK (SFUK)
In addition Isiseko Senkonjane – The Swallows Foundation of South Africa – fulfils a role in the Eastern Cape as a development agency for all of the arts and cultures throughout the Province and is active in the following areas:
a) Cultural Policy Research and Resource Development
b) Creative and Cultural Management Skills Development
c) Cultural product and market development.
Mission / Vision
• To connect the North East of England and the Eastern Cape of South Africa in mutual understanding and respect through the arts and culture
• to enable a significant number of artists and the leaders of cultural programmes from the North East and the Eastern Cape to be “both visitors and at home” – as the birds are – in communities on opposite sides of the earth
• to support the use of the unique perspectives afforded by these vantage points and the opportunities to work together to explore and seek to understand humanity’s place on the planet more fully
• to encourage new inter-cultural dialogue and support the creation of new work and new meaning by the artists and organisations involved, for the benefit of the communities of the North East and the Eastern Cape and then for wider dissemination
Sihlanganiswa Ziinkonjane lumanyano-jikelele lwehlabathi ngokunxulumene nemiba yezenkcubeko namasiko phakathi koMntla-Mpuma weNgilane nePhondo leMpuma –Kapa eMzantsi Afrika. Iinjongo eziphambili kukwakha ubudlelane, kubanjiswane kwezeNkcubeko, ngakumbi amaphulo ophuhliso kwezamasiko nezithethe ukususela kowe 2008 nakowe 2015 ukuyokuthi xhaxhe ngophando oluya kusibeka kowe 2020.
Le ntsebenziswano nobudlelwana baqiniswa ngokutyikitya uMgaqo-nkqubo wokuqondana osemthethweni phakathi kweNkulumbuso yePhondo lweMpuma-Kapa noSihlalo woManayano lwaMaqumru aseMntla-Mpuma ngeyoMdumba 28, 2008.
Le nkqubo ukuza kuthi xhaxhe ngoku iquka unaniselwano kwezemfundo noqeqesho, uzakuzelwano nobuchule, iminyhadala ekwakhaneni nasentlalweni, ngokuthi kubanjanwe ngezandla kuquka :
- Ezenkcubeko namaSiko
- Amaziko ezendalo namafa
- Imiboniso bhanya-bhanya noqhagamshelwano
- Amathala eencwadi noovimba
Ngokugxininisa kule miba :
- Inxaxheba yezithethe kuqoqosho nophuhliso lwentlalo
- Inxaxheba yenkcubeko nobugcisa kwewzemfundo
- Uqeqesho kubunkokheli
Imithombo iqulunqwa ngala maQumru azi ziSeko Senkonjane elaseNgilane eliqhubela kwinkqubo yaphambili
• Ukunxulumanisa uMntla Mpuma Ngilani neMpuma Koloni yelo Mzantsi Afrika ngentlonipho nokwazana ngokwezenkcubeko nezobugcisa.
• Ukwenzela inani elibonakalayo labanezakhono kwezobugcisa neenkokheli zolawulo lweenkqubo zenkcubeko zaseMntla Mpuma Ngilani neMpuma Koloni, ukuba babe “ziindwendwe nasekhayanjengeenkojane kwezingigqi mbombo zombini zehlabathi.
• Ukuxhasa intsebenziswano yeengcamango ezikwiqondo elilodwa ezikhoyo kule mimandla kwanamathuba okusebenzisana ukuphonononga nakwiphulo lokufun’ulwazi ngendima yobuntu kwelimiweyo ngokupheleleyo.
• Ukukhuthaza unxulumano olutsha kulwabelwano ngezimvo nenkxaso yokusungula imisebenzi emitsha nentsingiselo entsha kwabezenkcubeko nemibutho ebandakanyekayo kweli phulo, ukuze kuzuzwe lukhulu ngaboMntla Mpuma Ngilani nabeleMpuma Koloni, ze kunwenwele nakweminye imimandla yeli limiweyo.